Friday, May 20, 2011

Have you ever...

felt so excited for something that you couldn't possibly wait for it to come, but when it finally arrived you began to dread what would happen? What if things weren't going to be as awesome as you thought they were? What were you going to do now that it was over?

I suppose the best way to word this comes from Rapunzel and Flynn Rider in the Disney animated film Tangled. Rapunzel begins by saying, "I've been looking out a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what I might feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not every thing I dreamed it would be?"

"It will be." Flynn tells her.

"And what if it is? What do I do then?"

"Well, that's the good part I guess. You get to find a new dream."

I feel this way about a couple of things that will be happening this summer. One of them is I'm going to see the musical Wicked next week. I've been looking forward to seeing Wicked since my sophomore year of high school. That has been a pretty long time seeing as I'm about to become a senior in college.

The other is the final Harry Potter film. I have been waiting for this movie since 2001 when they first started making the films, but in all honesty, I don't want it to end. I started reading the books when I was in fourth grade and the seventh book came out the summer before my senior year of high school. Harry Potter has been in my life for 12 - almost 13 - years. Just over a decade of my life has been devoted to reading Harry Potter and watching Harry Potter and hoping that J.K. Rowling decides to write something else (according to her Twitter, she is busy writing).

I guess it is just a feeling of not wanting things to end. Yeah, I could always read the book Wicked and continue listening to the soundtrack a hundred more times. And, yeah, I could re-read the Harry Potter books and re-watch all of the movies, but it won't be the same as reading or watching it for the very first time. That feeling of awe and amazement and sadness that you have finally ended a chapter of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment